The season is upon us again where getting together with family and friends can mean packing up and leaving town. A false sense of security can lead to heart-breaking events. Do not assume that you are immune from home invasions or unexpected accidents. It is important to take precautions in order to protect what you have worked so hard to obtain. The following is a list of actions that you can take to help secure your home while you are away:
- Let a close neighbour know where you are going, how to contact you and when you expect to return. Provide them with access to a key.
- Put a vacation hold on all newspaper deliveries or arrange for a neighbour to promptly pick-up anything outside your front door.?
- Invest in a couple of timing switches that will have lamps come on at pre-specified times of the evenings and nights.?
- If you have a security system, make sure that it is activated. Don’t forget to provide instructions to the neighbour or other designate. (*)
- Ensure that all smoke detectors are equipped with fresh batteries.
- Check, double-check and triple-check that all appliances are off and all doors and windows are locked.
Now, off you go on vacation, knowing that you have taken the precautionary steps that will allow you to relax and enjoy the holiday season.
(*) If you do not currently have a home security system, and are interested in seeing which ones are available and how they stack up against each other, this link can be very